It often happens that entrepreneurs and companies decide to digitize their business or create their own website without having a minimum knowledge of what web maintenance is, what it consists of, how much it usually costs, what someone who maintains the web is dedicated to, and ultimately, they are vulnerable to scams or cheating due to their technical ignorance.
In this article we will address these issues one by one to clarify any type of doubt about web maintenance so that you are clear about what it entails and therefore what you can demand and what cost it would be advisable to assume for the web maintenance service. Are you ready?
Why is web maintenance important?
Imagine for a moment that they speak to you very well of a physical store, you enter and it is all mixed up, there are blackouts, the products are badly placed or far away, or they have not even cleaned it in months … evidently, it would generate distrust in you and you would end up going to other. And you would go to another with greater ease even if you know that in that same street there are 30 similar stores, imagine the importance of having everything on your site, careful, orderly, updated and well done and presented.
What activities are carried out for a web maintenance service?
Mainly, a good web maintenance requires doing (among many others) the following tasks: Web maintenance
- Guarantee website security, eliminate vulnerabilities
- Making adjustments to the server to optimize load times
- Analysis and revision of functionalities and in general all the operation of the website
- Development and insertion of new pages on the website
- Updating catalogs of products/services, images, contents, texts
- Creation of sections, buttons, panels
- Implementation of new payment modalities
- Creation of FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Analysis and repair of broken links, errors
- Creation of a sitemap (very important for SEO)
- Add, delete or replace files and update your extensions according to needs
- Optimization of page load speed by code analysis
- Programming of forms, subscriptions…
- Modification of prices of products/services
What are the advantages of hiring a web maintenance service?
Carrying out properly the tasks that we have seen done by a developer is quite complicated if you do not have certain knowledge and experience, so hiring it will provide you, among others, with these four advantages:
Advantage # 1 of hiring web maintenance: saving time, time is money
All the time it takes to perform web maintenance activities is time that you can devote to researching the market, to create and implement marketing strategies, sales, and in general to devote to aspects of your business in which you can make improvements while you leave this type of activities to the developers who will carry them out faster and better. The work processes in your business will be more fluid and you can delegate all the web maintenance tasks in the specialist to be able to use your time in what you think is right, in addition, you can be sure that he will do his job more effectively and efficiently.
Advantage # 3 to hire web maintenance: have professional specialists
It is tedious to have to be looking at Google and comparing articles, asking people in forums etc about web maintenance problems, and more with the vast amount of information circulating through the network of professional and non-professional people.
How much does the maintenance of my website cost?
Before talking about numbers you should know that the maintenance price of a web page is strictly linked to 4 factors:
1) If you use content management platforms or not. The Prestashop stores or websites using a CMS like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento … usually need less help from a developer, and therefore the cost will be cheaper to hire him.
2) How elaborate and complex your website is. If you have databases, complex sections that take you to the new page … all this adds value to the budget and carries some difficulty that is assumed in the price.
3) The need that the web has maintenance and that you have as a company, that is, if you require changes very frequently if you have to add new pages, modify or update a lot of information.
4) The experience of the specialist. Obviously, a web maintenance specialist who has been doing his work for 10 years will always cost more than one who carries 2.
The maintenance of a website is usually paid for hours of work, although it is also usually budgeted for months and even annual bonuses, and specialist time is paid from € 5 to € 50 per hour, according to the above criteria.