Elastic webbing have become a basic training element for many disciplines and sports. The benefits are numerous, such as a lower risk of injury, gain joint mobility, relieve pain due to overload and adapt to the different resistances of each exercise.
Elastic webbing have become a fundamental tool in the training of fitness clubs and athletes, in numerous activities and sports specialties due to its ease of use and low cost of acquisition and maintenance.
The coach recalls that in the work with the elastic material the Hooke’s law is applied, who expresses that: “the resistance or the load increases in proportion to the elongation”. This means that the greater the elongation of the elastic band, the greater its resistance.
APPLICATIONS OF ELASTIC WEBBING
In the different programs where the elastic webbing are applied as material, these serve to obtain several benefits:
- Develop muscle strength and imitate sports movements or gestures
- Gain specific joint mobility in an anatomical region
- Relieve some pain due to overload by limiting or complementing ranges of movement to benefit from mobility and flexibility.
LOWER RISK OF INJURY
One of the important benefits of elastic webbing “is the low risk of injury that presents and the safety with which it allows to develop an improvement of the musculo-tendinous system, giving the possibility of generating adaptations of tension and resistance immediately”, assures the specialist.
It also allows to train effectively all muscles, given its versatility when creating exercises.
PROPERTIES AND ADVANTAGES
Notario highlights several advantages and properties of elastic webbing when training with them:
- They are made of pure latex that allow great elasticity
- Its cost is reduced
- The elastic band is easy to use in different places, both indoor and outdoor
- Allows you to perform the exercises individually or in pairs.
- The important increase of the tension at the end of the extension of the tape takes advantage of to demand more to the stabilizing musculature of the articulation
- In the market there are elastic webbing of different colors that adapt to the resistance needs of the exercise and the individual
- The elastic webbing serve to improve the strength and resistance, which increases the tone of the muscles and the ability to withstand fatigue that comes from prolonged efforts
- With the elastic webbing the strength-resistance training is done with lower intensities than those necessary for the training of another type of force. To achieve this, the repetitions in the exercises and the number of series are increased.
EXERCISES WITH ELASTIC WEBBING
Jordi Notario proposes several exercises to make the most of the elastic webbing. In the case of basic strength exercises with elastic webbing we can perform squats, pectoral, dorsal, biceps, triceps and deltoids.
For mobility exercises, the DiR coach advises working on the internal and external rotation of the shoulder, the ankle dorsiflexion and the internal and external rotation of the knee.